Sunday, 13 March 2011

We're really close...

...to making probably one of the more important purchases for the wedding. The wedding rings!!! When we were back in Malaysia for Chinese New Year, we did a bit of ring shopping in Midvalley, Midvalley Gardens, Sunway Shopping Centre, Kuala Lumpur City Centre as well as DeGem and The Carat Club in Bangsar (if you click on the places, you should get a list of jewellery stores). We had a discussion about what sort of metal to go for. Fortunately, my engagement ring is platinum, that constrained our choices (although my FiancĂ© wanted to consider carbon fibre and palladium!). There are some good websites that help you make the decision. I find the older generation tend to prefer white gold, mainly because it is more malleable.

Here's a brief summary of the stores I visited in Malaysia.

De Gem
There were some good rings here, recommended by my wedding planner. So I would definitely recommend dropping by their store in Bangsar to take a look. Service was good, plenty of designs to choose from and reasonably priced.

Habib Jewels
I didn't like the designs, and a bit ostentatious in my opinion.

The Carat Club
I believe there was a change in management, a lot of construction going on and noise when I visited! Plus I didn't see anything nice.

Love & Co
I quite liked the concept in this store. Has a very romantic feel and it has A LOT of matching modern designs. There were quite a number with rose gold as well, if you like that look.

Diamond & Platinum
Not a bad store to visit as well, quite a few designs in white gold (and they can make it for you in platinum).

I made the mistake of going into Cartier (after swearing I would not set foot in Tiffany's for reasons unknown to myself!). Anyway, I found a style of ring that I particularly liked in Cartier and trawled through the rest of the stores looking for a cheaper alternative. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite find an alternative that quite looked the same!


Mr. Right liked this one from Cartier, which looked pretty good on his finger.


We saw a couple of nice rings from De Gem as well (unfortunately I don't have the photos).

Yes, I know what you're saying, why don't the rings match?! We did try to find matching wedding rings but it was such a struggle back home. What looks good on his finger didn't look so great on mine. For e.g. squarish rings with flat surfaces were suitable for him whereas rounded rings with curves looked better on mine. What a headache...!

No comments:

Post a Comment