Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Being hairy...

...as a girl, is a big minus. Despite the fact that I'm Chinese, I find I am distinctly hairier than my other Chinese counterparts. How do I know this? Well for starters, I have hair on my arms and the hair on my head is rather much (ok, maybe this is a plus point!) but I do wish I had completely hairless legs, (cover your ears, boys) armpits and upper lip!

Anyway, I belatedly realised that because I have hairy eyebrows, this is a big plus. Not only do I have enough to shape, I never have to worry about drawing in my eyebrows or tattooing my eyebrows. Incidentally, my mum had to get her eyebrows tattooed and this is something you have to upkeep every few years or so, otherwise the colour would fade. If you think eyebrows are not that important, just go to google and type "eyebrows gone wrong" and you'll see what I mean. Incidentally, check out these celebrity eyebrow blunders.

Having said that, to shape and maintain your eyebrows, you have to resort to a variety of options, all of which have a pain rating from 1 to 5. My favourite one is threading, although the first time I went, teardrops involuntarily fell. I kept going back because I loved the results (great eyebrow shaping) and how long the results lasted. You can of course upkeep your own eyebrows through faithful plucking but I'm not disciplined enough.

When I was back home in Malaysia, threading was quite affordable - RM5 for your eyebrows and RM3 for your upper lip. I believe there are some women who get their entire face threaded, including their chin and face. Here in London, threading services are quite expensive. There's the popular Blink Brow Bar that charges £17 for eyebrow shaping. There's Malika, that charges £15 and promises a pleasurable experience as they put special oil onto your skin before threading is performed. Shavata, the eyebrow "guru", even has her own range of products such as tweezers and after-plucking gel. She charges a hefty £17 for eyebrow shaping as well.

So my errant eyebrows have been out-of-shape due to the astronomical prices! However, I found a wonderful threading place that is no-frills but quick, clean and does the job well. In fact, I found the threading to be less painful than what I am used to back home in Malaysia. This place is none other than Sajna, which has a salon in Tooting Broadway and another in Clapham North. The sheer convenience and the fact that the prices are unbelievably reasonable (only £2 for eyebrow shaping) have won me over. I will definitely be visiting Sajna again!

No comments:

Post a Comment