Luckily, my skin is back to normal now and it is largely thanks to some lesser known skincare brands. I'd like to share my experience with you so that if this ever happens to you (heaven forbid) before your wedding day, you'll have an easier time manoeuvring you way through the many many skincare brands out there.
SuKin
Not to be confused with NuSkin, SuKin is an Australian brand of organic skincare. I can't remember how much the SuKin Cream Cleanser costed but it was less than £8. I loved that it didn't sting my extra sensitive skin at that point. I've not used a cream cleanser before this point (was previously using Shu Eumura's cleansing oil) and using a facial cotton took a bit of getting used to. However, this was water soluble as well so you can easily use it in the shower which was a big plus point. Most importantly, it cleansed my skin without making the flakiness worse. However, after trying A'kin's cleanser, I much prefer A'kin (see below) to SuKin.
NapierI've personally not come across Napier prior to this. I walked into a pharmacy in Wimbledon and the lady immediately prescribed the Infant Starflower Skin Cream after I described my symptoms.
Napiers Infant Starflower Cream, 30 ml RRP £6.00 - A total lifesaver. This is generally used for babies who have ezcema but it's great for adult's as well. I slapped this on day and night. This totally soothed my skin (it was so itchy!) and lessened the redness and flakiness.A'kin
My skin marginally improved (less redness and flakiness) and I decided to stop using my Shu Eumura line of RED:JUVENUS products as they were irritating my skin. I looked around in a couple of pharmacies and came across this brand and promptly ordered the Everyday Essentials Dry Skin Pack. I was contemplating getting the Sensitive Skin Pack instead but after using the Napiers Infant Starflower Cream, my skin was no longer sensitive, just extremely dehydrated. By the way, A'kin is another Australia organic skincare brand! Hmmm....best part is A'kin has signed the compact for safe cosmetics! And their products are free from:
- Parabens
- Mineral oils
- Silicones
- Sulfates
- Synthetic fragrances
- Artificial colours
- Propylene glycol
- Phthalates
- DEA (MEA, TEA)
- Ethoxylated and petrochemical cleansers
A'kin Pure Creamy Cleanser and Toner in One 225ml - I've just switched to this from the SuKin Cream Cleanser. I like this a lot more. Feels a lot more luxurious. I'm afraid I might never return to using the Shu Eumura cleansing oil, although I used to be a big fan! It must've been stripping my skin of moisture all this while! Who knows?
A'kin Pure Radiance Rosehip Oil, Certified Organic, 23ml - I couldn't imagine that OIL is any good for the face (as I'm prone to breakouts around the chin area) but this couldn't be farther from the truth. I love this! It really helped rehydrate my skin and I still use it religiously.
A'kin Rosehip & Shea Intensive Moisture Anti-oxidant Complex, 50ml - Very rich and yet easily absorbed face cream. At first, I wasn't used to the rich texture and it felt weird massaging the cream into my face. I currently use this daily at night.
A'kin Gentle Exfoliating Facial Scrub RRP ~£13 - I think this is a good in-between product. You don't want something that's too abrasive or something that doesn't do the job (for e.g. I tried the Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator which smells heavenly but I didn't feel like I exfoliated anything!). I've been using the scrub above, twice a week to make sure I get rid of all the dead skin cells. It's gentle, with Jojoba and Corn beads. I can't believe I spent years using the St. Ives Apricot Scrub which must have been quite abrasive!
Elemis Exotic Cream Moisture Mask RRP ~£30 - After the scrub, I usually put on this mask on (sometimes overnight) to ensure I get enough hydration into my skin. I bought this at the Elemis counter in John Lewis when I was signing up for a 2 for 1 facial but on hindsight, I think it is rather expensive! I'll most likely be trying an A'kin mask once I've finished my Elemis bottle. However, I must say, the mask has done its job. I'm such a big fan of A'kin now; I've even purchased a moisturiser for my man from the A'kin Pureman range. Stay tuned for further feedback!
No comments:
Post a Comment