...I will be officially off the shelf.
That's right reader, I am about to get legally bound to one man for the rest of my life. You may wonder about the differences between having that piece of paper and NOT having that piece of paper, as I have in the past. Is it really that significant? I think that really depends on the individual. If one treated the institution of marriage lightly, a piece of paper isn't going to change that mindset. But if you believe that marriage is for life - a sign of commitment and responsibility, a confirmation of fidelity (big yay for monogamy!), an unbreakable all-or-nothing oath, then that piece of paper holds much weight.
For starters, you can't bail on a marriage as easily as you can on a relationship (yes, I know there is a rising number of divorces). Think of the legal fees and the hassle you would need to go through. Not to mention the social stigma of being a divorcee. If you're a fan of Friends, you would probably remember the trouble Rachel and Ross went through to get an annulment after they got drunk and married in Vegas. Alcohol + any sort of decision-making = disaster.
Plus, there is that painful ordeal of separating what's his and what's hers. Count yourself lucky if you don't have kids or pets. How about friends? Who gets to keep them? Him or her? The house, the car, the furniture...the list can be endless depending on how long you've been together. It could get ugly.
It's not as simple as sauntering out of the door, or breaking up via sms (which is by the way, shameful behaviour) or saying "sayonara, see ya". You had better be downright sure he's the man who you're going to stand by when he's down and out. Don't think that you're both going to stay exactly the same but don't assume he or she will change to your liking either. Whatever expectations you have, realistic or not, you had better voice them out now or forever hold your peace! Marriage can be a bed of roses but let's not forget there are thorns as well.
Whatever the reason, let's face it - most of us do not approach marriage expecting it to end. It's a heartbreaking setback to anyone's faith in love when a marriage doesn't work out. I think the worst thing is to never recover from that setback and never giving love another chance, but that's another story.
So, as time ticks by and I'm closer to the signing on the dotted line, my feet are surprisingly warm. I do not stare longingly at my running shoes. Despite over thinking, over analysing, over worrying, whenever I think about marrying my man, I smile. It could be the continuous stream of corny jokes or it could be that I feel happy imagining that I am his Mrs. It could be that he seems incredibly happy for someone who is going to slap on the old 'ball and chain' as they call it. It could also be because he is extremely ticklish - there is a saying that ticklish men are afraid of their wives, but I think that's untrue. Ticklish men are just afraid of being tickled.
Hmm...whatever the case, my pen is at the ready! (Who signs first though???)
Hi Jess!
ReplyDeleteVery true I must say, especially the commitment part. What I can see is most ppl nowadays are too selfish, i.e. they will always put their needs over someone else's first, and this is the same even if they are already married. Being in a marriage entails being selfless, and most importantly, the willingness to compromise and tolerate one another, and to accept each others' failings as well.
The reason I'm writing all this down is that I've currently witnessed about 4 friend's marriages which had broken down due to selfishness, i.e. putting one's own needs ahead of the family, wife and even children. I always reason with such friends that once a commitment is made, other roads are roads not taken so no point pondering if the grass is ever greener on the other side. Also, do also try to treat your other partner right, as at the end of your lives, the only person who will be ever willing to stand by your side will be none other than your wife/husband.
Anyway, congrats on your engagement and here's wishing you and Varian a very happy marriage ahead, best of luck always in everything, and do take care in the UK!
AW.
Hmmm... Ticklish men are afraid of being tickled? I assume this applies to the ticklish women too? ;)
ReplyDeleteReally like what your wrote Aaron. Wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for the congratulations!
ReplyDeleteVicks - haha =P
ReplyDelete