Sunday, 14 November 2010

A good foundation...

...is something every bride needs on her wedding day, unless you have absolutely flawless skin. The bridal mags always have a section where there is are recommended make-up products which is a good place to start if you're looking for a particular product. For me, I relied on the internet! There are countless youtube reviews on different brands of foundation as well as review websites such as Makeup Alley which are useful . Of course, nothing beats actually going to the counter to get those Make Up artists to slap on some foundation on your face to see if it really does work wonders.

Anyway, here are some sheer-to-medium coverage foundations I've tried (although I can't verify if these will give your breakouts as I'm currently experiencing a bout of breakouts on my chin area and I'm not sure if it's my poor diet, lack of proper rest or reaction to all the foundation I've tried!) and think are pretty darn good. I was of course looking for something for the wedding, so I needed something that gave me good but not heavy coverage (you still want some natural glowing skin to shine through) and something that would look good when I'm photographed (i.e. not too shiny!).

Clinique Supermoisture Foundation for Dry/ Dry Combination Skin £20, 30 ml

This one was very comfortable on the skin especially if you're suffering from dry skin. I really liked it! Good coverage but sheer enough to look natural. Unfortunately, if you look really closely, you can actually see tiny tiny glimmery flecks. This is not noticeable unless you're nose-to-nose but I was really worried that I would appear shiny in photographs.

Diorskin Nude Foundation Fresh Glow Hydrating Makeup SPF 10 £29, 30 ml

You have to work pretty fast with this foundation before it sets. Although it has a liquid-y feel to it, I find it's best to use a sponge or a foundation brush to put this on. I tried spreading it on with my fingers: it was not a good outcome. This foundation feels very light on the skin, as if you have nothing on. Unfortunately, it is quite expensive! I suppose that's because it is touted as skincare + make up i.e. make up that's actually good for your skin. I'll test drive this claim for the next two weeks and report the results.

MAC Face and Body Foundation, £23, 120ml

Talk about good value for money! This foundation is great for photographs; no SPF, no glimmer and long-lasting. Feels ever-so-slightly heavier than the other two but coverage is definitely better. Also, I think the colour of this foundation suited me the best. A definite winner if I'm doing my own make-up for my marriage registration (which I am) and maybe for my photo shoot.

The other MAC foundation that I've tried - Studio Sculpt felt way too creamy and heavy for my liking. That is probably more suited for medium-to-full coverage. I've also heard good things about MAC's Studio Fix foundation that's good for oily and combination skin. Overall, there are many brands out there and the options are endless. Just be prepared to put up with snotty Make Up Artists and always always check that your foundation matches your neck colour before you buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment