Getting to my point (yes I am a tad long winded sometimes, it makes for a more dramatic effect), I think (this has not been confirmed by a health professional) I'm suffering from hives. It started last night at dinner time when I started getting defined red bumps on my arms. I thought it was mosquitoes. When I got home, the problem excarberated. I had red bumps all over my back. I just drank a lot of water and fervently hoped that it would go away, whatever it was. At 530am in the morning, I woke up only to find my right hand fingers have swollen to twice the size of my normal left hand fingers. And I had itchy bumps all over my legs.
![]() |
| Itchy red bumps on my feet. Itchyyyy! All over my feet and knees, thighs, back argh!!! |
- Overload of electrolytes - I mixed these with water for a during and after yoga drink but apparently you just need a pinch. I used an entire teaspoon. Only found out much later on.
- Dehydration after 1.5 hours of yoga
- MSG-laden, salty Chinese food at dinner caused futher dehydration
- Pre-existing eczema condition - I just went to see the doctor the very same morning as the ezcema on my hands were pretty bad. The dehydration just made it worse!
- Wear loose, cooling clothing as that irritates the skin less.
- Take cold showers and run cold water down affected areas. Affected areas tend to be swollen and heated up.
- Don't scratch. The more you scratch, the more it itches, the more it itches, the more you scratch.
- Don't try rubbing against something to ease the itchiness for e.g. a towel. For some stupid reason, your skin thinks it's being scratched (rubbing against towel does not equal scratching in my book!) and you'll feel more itchy.
- Your scalp is also your skin, and shouldn't be scratched.
- Don't rub two parts of your body together as once again, that constitutes scratching. For e.g. rubbing your feet together.
- Don't rub your butt against the chair because that also constitutes scratching.
- Do not attempt to lick the affected areas. Saliva is antibacterial ONLY if it remains in your mouth. Once it's out of your mouth, it's just disgustingly unsanitary.
- Don't slap/beat/inflict pain on affected areas in an attempt itch less. It usually doesn't work and you end up feeling itchy AND in pain.
- Try doing something to take your mind off the itchiness and keep your hands busy so they can't scratch. For e.g. broadcasting your suffering on your blog. Chopping vegetables (but keep your hands dry!). Dancing to Kylie's "Get Outta My Way", make sure hands are waving in the air and not scratching your body.
- When sleeping, the prevent your subconscious scratching, it is advisable to wear mittens / hand plastic bags with sturdy straps.
![]() |
| Grosssss....engorged digits! |
Here's hoping I get better soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment