It was quite a quick, easy read (when you travel slightly more than half an hour in the underground daily in the morning, you'll find a lot of time on your hands). The premise of the book is basically that certain types of food serve to rev up your metabolism or cleanse your digestive system, hence making the flushing of fat a lot more efficient. Here's a rough list of what Ann Louise proposes as effective fat flushing foods. I won't go into the detail of WHY, there's a lot of science behind the WHY but the WHAT should get you going down the right path!
- Apple Cider Vinegar - My Pa used to put a tablespoon of this into my water in the morning but it was way too disgusting for me. Hence why I never picked it up as a habit! Anyway, I bought my first bottle two weekends ago and have it with plain water or my juice in the morning.
- Cranberries - I still haven't found unsweetened, pure cranberry juice in a carton. Sainsburys just doesn't cut it sometimes. I'll try Waitrose!
- Flaxseed Oil and Flaxseeds - Keeps you full for longer, I bought a bottle of Flax Oil, I think it's the same thing isn't it? I drizzle it over our salads. So far no complaints from Mr. Right so it must taste okay.
- Lemon - My ma's favourite "fat flusher". She goes on about it all the time and she's right! Lemonize your foods but squeezing a lemon wedge over it.
- Water - Supermodels swear by it. Drinking 2 litres of water a day is a lot more difficult than you think!
- Eggs - Another yay for Pa! All those years it was Pa vs Ma on the eggs debate. Ma thought they would raise cholesterol, Pa was always pro-eggs. Make sure they are organic and free range though.
- Salmon - Bring on the healthy fats I say! Love, love, love salmon.
- Whey Protein - Yes, that disgusting smelly powdery thing that my Fiancé drinks every morning is good for you. Hence why bodybuilders drink it I suppose.
- Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Tomatoes, Watercress, Zucchini
- Apples, Berries, Peaches
- Anise, Cayenne (Beyonce is a big fan of this), Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Dried Mustard, Fennel Seed, Garlic, Ginger, Parsley
- Almonds - Ah my favourite nut! We recently bought organic almond butter as well - tastes delicious with crispbread and healthier than peanut butter.
- Olive Oil
- Spelt
- Sweet Potatoes - my favourite potato!
- Yoghurt
- Supplements - Chromium, CLA, GLA, Milk Thistle (A healthy liver helps you flush out fat! I didn't know this...but your liver is the most important fat flushing organ - if you overload it with toxins, you might find the weight piling on)
Some fat flushers Ann Louise suggested that got me going "WHAT?!! REALLY??"
- Beef - it's apparently thermogenic.
- Lamb - my favourite meat. And here I thought it was full of fat! Apparently it is less marbled with fat than the other red meats.
Fat flushers I've never even HEARD of:
- Jicama - What? Sounds like a Cantonese bad word. I shall go looking for this jicama which is supposedly a cross between a potato and an apple.
- Spaghetti Squash - Uhm....it's not squashed spaghetti by the way.
- Supplements - Choline, l-Methionine, Oregon Grape Root
Another interesting thing that the book does on about is to give your food a "Clorox Bath" to clean your fruits and vegetables and make them last longer. I'm guessing you won't need to do this if your fruits and vegetables are organic as the primary aim of the "Clorox Bath" is to remove toxic chemicals. This book was also published in 2004 (before the Organic movement?). This was the only paragraph in the book I had trouble digesting (oh and also the fact that beef and lamb are fat flush foods).
Other than that, this book is highly recommended to anyone who is interested in eating healthier!
No comments:
Post a Comment