Saturday, 30 July 2011

My childhood had a significant...

...impact on my love for the outdoors. Last weekend, we were lucky enough to visit our friends in Edinburgh for a short weekend trip. It was a brilliant trip because of the company of those two. It was also V's proper first time in Edinburgh and he really liked it. We did indulge in one of our favourite pastimes - eating. Please check out our breakfast and vegetarian lunch foodie fest.

So what did we do in Edinburgh? We firstly followed the Sandemans Tour which was free (but of course we tipped Izzy, who is by the way boisterous and brilliant at her job!) on Saturday morning/afternoon and had a great sight-seeing tour of Edinburgh. We learnt a bit about its history and interesting stories. I won't bore you with pictures of buildings (mainly because I can't remember the names of the building that we went to, minus the Castle and the Parliment, hmmm did we go past the Parliment?) or even the cemetery (which I thought was pretty cool) but here are the highlights of our tour.


The Jazz Festival
Who knew that the very day we picked to visit, the city would be bustling with colourful street performers! It was great!! The atmosphere was really buzzing.
Didn't really get the flags.
Street performers.

Men or women? I had trouble telling the difference.
A band!
Mankini Man (and little else)
It still escapes my comprehension why a grown man would dress in a green Borat mankini and a wig. Why?? MY EYESSSSS!!!
Wasn't sure what I saw. After all the sunlight was blindingly bright.
TT caught me turning away in awe (ok more like gross!!).
Greyfriars Bobby 
I did the touristy thing and took his picture anyway!
Uhm...as much as I love the story of a dog's loyalty. I suspect Greyfriars Bobby stuck around because the kids and the adults around the church area were feeding him scraps. He's not only loyal but smart as well. The rest of us...not so smart. If you want to find out more about the dog's loyalty (14 years guarding his owner's grave!), check this link out. I personally think that this story has been highly commercialised and somehow loses its appeal. Oh well.

Heart of Midlothian
Did I spit on it for luck? You betcha.I realised actually getting enough saliva and phlegm in your mouth to properly spit is difficult. Aiming your spit? Even more difficult! The story behind this? The heart-shaped mosaic is supposed to represent the doorway to the public execution in the olden days. Nowadays, people just spit on the heart for luck. 
One of the spit marks is mine!
That sums up the highlights for our tour. By the time we finished it was way past lunchtime but that didn't stop us. We had a bite to eat, wandered up Carlton Hill and walked all the way back to WL and TT's place. At night, we caught Horrible Bosses at the cinema which was funny to the point of being unbelievable. 

Click here for Part II of our Edinburgh trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment