Saturday, 11 September 2010

This September 11...

...my fiancé and I had the first instalment of our Engagement Party. It was a day of many celebrations - amongst our guests, three couples were recently engaged (including ourselves), one of our friend was celebrating her (sixth, but who's counting?) 25th birthday, quite a number of us have started in new jobs and one of my ex-colleagues' MBA course has just kicked off. Time flew extremely quickly, with games of Foosball, cards and Taboo being played, conversations being said and jokes being made.

I'm probably the first bride-to-be who hosts the engagement party wearing a Thundercats shirt!

My fiancé, practising his best moves on the Foosball table before our guests arrived.


My fiancé of course, was at his prime. He regaled everyone with the tale of the proposal that went right (please refer to When Proposals Go Right for my version) and everyone, bless their souls, listened intently and clapped enthusiastically in the end. I'm never exactly sure whether all your friends care to hear about the proposal but I'm one of those who loves listening to them (especially so if it's my own!). Nevertheless, for those who have heard our story more than once, I do thank you for lending your ears and making us feel like our story was captivating and one-of-a-kind! Later that night, I had the opportunity to listen to another proposal of one of the lovely ladies who just got engaged, and it was absolutely romantic and heart-warming, spiced up with an element of comedy as well. He actually flew back to Malaysia to surprise her, spent the next two weeks frantically getting the perfect ring, before proposing to her the day before they both flew back to London. Here's wishing the two of you a hearty congratulations!


Not only that, my Mr. Right also had a good time talking "geek" with the rest of his friends, showing of his new "geek" apparatus. For me, I watched on, smiling at his obvious pleasure, for what's more precious than seeing your loved one so happy and contented?

The guests were a great mix of my Fiancé's friends from uni, the World of Warcraft gang (apparently, they are starting up the Starcraft II gang) and handful of my buddies. The bustle of conversation was occasionally punctuated with peals of laughter and the sound of the Foosball table going *POW*! We did have a resident pro-Foosball player...unfortunately, I didn't get a decent photo of him! There were guests who were content to stand around (sorry about the lack of chairs everyone), sip their drinks and chat.




Some of the guests happily playing Bridge. The Best Man's shirt matched our curtains! His lovely fiancé is seated next to him. Our good friend in the stripey shirt is putting on his best James Dean expression (he even wore a leather jacket)!


Cupid's girlfriend spoiling the picture when I said "SMILE""!! She's due back in Malaysia for her cousin's wedding as the maid of honour. Remember to hold the bride's train! The ever-bubbly lady on the far left recently got engaged to the guy in the picture. He has hidden 'belly-dancing' talent, as we found out later at night.
IPhone 4 versus HTC Desire showdown with one of the coolest happily married couples in London (really!). Love the hairstyle, babe!
Our nutty friend trying to inhale the entire packet of sour cream and chive dip. Not sure why.

One of our friend showed off his awesome Crumpler camera bag and his camera, of course.


We would like to thank everyone for bringing drinks, snacks, fruits and even gifts! I was a little concerned about the live plants; more because I wasn't sure if I could keep them alive! The only plant I've ever kept was a cactus in my office and that DID die a slow and undeserving death due to over watering and lack of sunlight.

I've stationed the pot of flowers from Cupid and his girlfriend on the windowsill next to my three little pigs. It'll have company and lots of sunshine!

Beautiful orchids for our dining table! Reminds me of my dad and grandma (it was their favourite flower).

This adorable horseshoe will be hung on our bedroom doorknob.

Still trying to figure out who brought the champagne...we'll open it during our next party as we totally forgot that it was in the fridge!


We had a wonderful time and hope that all our guests enjoyed it too. I'm looking forward to the second instalment of our Engagement Party, as this one proved to be a day of great fun and good company. Thank you to all of you who came and for sharing this special moment with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment