Friday, 20 July 2012

I finally got to be someone's bridesmaid.

And I'm glad that it's for my sister! Although I guess since I'm hitched now, I can't really say that I'm a bridesmaid, rather, I am a Matron of Honour (MoH for short, and perhaps I can pass myself off as the MAID of Honour, haha).

I was hunting high and low for a short MoH dress that fitted my sister's wedding theme AND did not cost a bomb. The usual high street suspects like Coast, Monsoon etc did not give me any joy. After searching (when I say searching I mean buying clothes online, having them delivered, trying them on, lamenting the fact that they either didn't fit/didn't look nice/was the wrong colour, taking them back to the store or posting them back, getting my refund, gah!) for about 2 months, my sister solved the problem for me.

She went bonkers on fine day (it's the stress of saving lives as a doctor) and bought 6 dresses online for USD40.00 each. One of those dresses, she insisted, would be perfect as a MoH dress (specifically for the church wedding).

The baby blue really suite the theme perfectly. Not sure how the colour would fare against my dark skin though!
My sister sent it to me, all the way from Australia! I tried it on and it was slightly too large and perhaps (if the picture above is a true representation of how it should be worn) too long. I managed to find a reasonably priced alterations place and will be collecting my dress in a couple of weeks. The dress made quite an impact on the lady who does the alterations as she "oohed" and "aahed" about it when I went in for a fitting. I was afraid to tell her the actual price of the dress and where my sis bought it from!

I also decided against buying a pair of shoes to match the dress as 1. it's additional cost 2. it's a bad investment as it's hard to match blue shoes to non-blue items of clothing. I stuck with a pair of heels I've been dying to wear again! Grey seemed pretty neutral and went well with the dress. I better start practising wearing them though...I don't wear heels on a regular basis and (you would probably guess this if you know me) I am quite the klutz.
Wanted these Ted Baker shoes in gold earlier last year but they were sold out! I ended up purchasing this pair on sale and I'm glad I did as they come in handy now.
So I'm all set! Can't wait to see my sister in her wedding dress. It's going to be pretty spectacular!!!

Update @ 22/11/2012:
Photo by Alvin Wong Photography
Got a picture of me in my "other" bridesmaid dress, the one I wore to my sister's wedding in Melbourne. What do you think? It's a one shoulder long dress with sequins on the left shoulder and more sequins diagonally on the waist. Bought it for a really bargain price online (TK Maxx). I wore my wedding shoes and wedding hair accesory with the dress and it seemed to work perfectly fine. Most importantly, my bloated tummy hopefully doesn't show much: I put on quite a bit of weight as I was 3 months pregnant, queasy and gobbling down carbohydrates like my life depended on it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment