Tuesday, 1 November 2011

They say when it rains...

...it pours.

At least that's what it is starting to feel like lately.

Lots of brides would tell you what a pleasure planning a wedding can be. They don't usually mention the possible massacre that could happen. That's just conveniently left out of the picture.

Lest be it for me to be all moan-ey and negative. I know it could be a lot worse but I do know it could be a lot better. Truth is, I have come to the staggering realisation that despite everything, it really isn't worth the trouble having a wedding celebration. There is too much "face", pride, money, status, tradition, comparisons involved.

Would my Mr. Right and I have benefited from eloping? Absolutely, no doubt about it. But what have we learnt from our wedding preparations thus far? Here are my top cons:
  1. £££, enough said.
  2. There are too many people to please and I do not have enough time, money or self-inflicted misery to do so. My downfall is that I tried.
  3. Everyone's laid back and easy-going, until it has something to do with the wedding.
  4. In a wedding what is actually unnecessary will become necessary through some bizarre alignment with the stars, luck, tradition or avoidance of a curse.
  5. As much as you're grateful for everyone's help, sometimes they forget it's your wedding.
  6. Despite the most efficient organisation and meticulous planning, things can and will go wrong. 
  7. You didn't know this but you entered a competition. Your wedding will be compared to other weddings attended by aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, etc etc. What is lacking will be frowned upon and criticised.
  8. Guess who will be the most stressed out? You - the bride. Not your groom, not your wedding planner, but YOU.
Dear Reader, you might say to me "oh be grateful" or "try to understand"...but really. Suddenly this doesn't feel like a wedding any more. It feels like work. And not the type I particularly like.

Come back another day. I might be able to give you the up side of things. But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment