Thank you to everyone who came, you made our day extra special!
News flash, we have officially (legally) tied the knot!
It started off pretty stressful and hectic to be honest. I woke up to heavy snowfall at about 9am, wondering how on earth anyone (let alone the person who will be officiating the registration) would get to the Wandsworth Town Hall! I started the arduous task of putting on my make up...often running in and out of the toilet, asking my Fiance if my eye colour was even! That took about an hour before I proceeded to curl my hair with a curling iron. There were a few minor mishaps - I accidentally burnt myself a few times, ouch! but I managed to plow through.
One of my bridesmaids who is also my witness, a certain Ms C (or Mrs K), recently purchased a car with her husband. He was kind enough to drive us to the town hall and trust me, slipping and sliding on the roads without any snow tyres was a tiny bit scary. Nevertheless, he got us there in one piece and I personally want to say THANK YOU K SQUARED!
There was hardly any time to feel nervous as our guests were ushered into the Victoria Room for the ceremony. We had friends who came from all over London, Cambridge, Dublin, Edinburgh and even New York to witness this momentous occasion. I was really touched! It's just lovely to share the moment with everyone.
"When I wake up, oh I know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you..."
As we walked into the room, to the tune of our favourite Karaoke song - (I'm Gonna Be) 500 miles by the Proclaimers, we took our places and were given a short "lecture" about the meaning and seriousness of marriage. Once that was over and done with, the best man who is also my Fiance's witness, read Roy Croft's poem, Love.
The Best Man giving an impromptu reading of Love by Roy Croft.
I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find
I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.
I found this poem on the internet and thought it was very meaningful and reflected how I felt since meeting the Man of my life. What do you think, dear reader?By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.
A moment of laughter erupted in the midst of the serious proceedings!
"I vow to take the thrash out on a daily basis."
This was my Fiance's:
"I love you and I will always love you. You are the kindest, most generous, loving, unselfish person I know. I take you to be my partner in life, my best friend and my true love.
I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you and to comfort you. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you, to take care of you and to never take you for granted.
These things I give to you today, and all the days of our lives."
And I got a bit choked up reading mine out loud!
"I vow to be a devoted and faithful wife,
to stand by you and respect you always,
to care for you in sickness and in health,
to be quick to praise and slow to fault,
to negotiate fairly when I disagree,
and to refrain from nagging unless necessary.
I vow to be your best friend and confidante,
to listen to your troubles and give you a helping hand,
to laugh with you when you're happy,
and comfort you when you're sad,
to share your burdens when they get too heavy,
and to be someone you can always depend on.
From this day forth till the day I leave this world,
I commit to give all of myself to you,
to cherish every moment we have together,
and to love you every day of my life."
We signed the registration book and was presented the certificate, which is apparently the property of the bride's. I wonder why?
My bridesmaid and witness looking on as I signed on the dotted line.
"Look what I got you!"
Badminton buddies.
Soon-to-be married Best Man and his lovely Fiancée.

Our good friend who took video footage of the proceedings. Thanks!!
A mini E.G. reunion with members checking in from Dublin and New York.
Mr. & Mrs. K Squared. Thank you so much for your help, best friends/neighbours/all round nicest people in the whole wide world. I mean it!
Mr. & Mrs. T Squared and friends. One yummy-mummy coming right up!
Men on the left and ladies on the right!
STYlishly LOw-key and the affectionate couple.
The talented dancing couple from Cambridge!
All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful day. I can't describe what I felt...a mix of excitement, anticipation of things to come, pure unadulterated joy? Perhaps lack of breakfast in the morning as well? Powerrrr of loveeeeeee...? Who knows...but fingers crossed that when I settle back down to earth, I'll be gearing up to plan the next wedding-do.
Congratulations guys!! Looks like a smashing registration. Glad the weather bowed down to higher powers' wish for the event to go off without a hitch! May your married life together be similarly blessed!!
ReplyDeleteMum & Dad say: Beautiful couple, beautiful vows..brought tears to their eyes, beautiful event on a beautiful white winter's day. We wish Varian and Jess happiness throughout and a bouquet of life's beauty shared together as man and wife.
ReplyDelete